Friday, October 16, 2009

Week 6 News/Preview

Okay, it's been a few days. Or a week. Whatever. Anyway, we have some developments to take a look at.

First thing's first, Troy Polamalu returns this week. It's still only the Browns, but I'm nervous when Troy isn't in the game. I'm kind of hoping this fixes the second-half defense issue. I know it's a bit much to hope for, but Penguins fans remember last year when Sergei Gonchar returned to the powerplay unit. One player CAN have a heck of an impact.

Unfortunately, one player returning to the defense comes at the loss of another. We won't be seeing Aaron Smith until next preseason. Losing #91 won't be as big of an issue as people will make it out to be. Everyone talks about how underrated Aaron Smith is, and while I believe he doesn't get half the attention he deserves, I also think that he's so underrated he's starting to become overrated. He isn't the cornerstone of the Steelers' defense. He's good, but he's aging and he's replaceable. The Steelers actually already prepared for something like this, way back in April...
Enter Ziggy Hood. This is your shot, kid. First round pick, getting a chance to play DE around some of the best defensive players in the league? Let's see what you've got. It's what you're here for, now show us you can deliver.

I'm not expecting Hood to get a 5-sack game or anything. Ideally, he'll step in and we won't hear much about Jamal Lewis this week. I know the Steelers don't usually play their rookies too much, following that old-school "sit behind a veteran for a year" technique, and there's nothing wrong with that, but as a rookie, it will be easier to break in at DE than, say, safety or left tackle. Now we pretty much just have to watch and see if this guy will be able to take over in the future.

There's one other concern I have on defense. LaMarr Woodley. I've been trying to keep track of him and find an explanation for his lack of QB pressure. James Harrison managed to get his defensive player of the week award, but Woodley looked lost against Detroit. Post Game Heroes broke down Woodley's performance against San Diego, and from their analysis, he hasn't been generating pressure because he hasn't been called to rush in that many plays. That wasn't always the case in Detroit. He was trying to get pressure, especially late in the game, and he wasn't even pushing his tackle at all. It's hard to tell what it is that's holding him back. Is he injured? Is he out of shape? I don't know, but it had better improve sometime soon.

I think the Lions game showed us that the Steelers can't overlook anyone this year. They beat Detroit, but they nearly gave up another late drive. Now we have the Browns, and the Browns are certainly not a scary team, but every game matters.

I'd start to break down what the Browns bring to the table but I still can't do it with a straight face. Their only offensive weapon is a kick returner and I don't know if I can name one of their DBs off the top of my head. I guess they'll drop a few less passes as a team with Braylon Edwards now screwing up with the New York Jets, but if that's really the highlight of their team so far... It's tough to think the Steelers will have to make a game out of this one.

Even still. Every game matters. Steelers need to play well to win.

Here We Go.

No comments:

Post a Comment