Thursday, August 6, 2009

Training Camp Battles With a Twist!

The twist being, I'm actually going to say how I think each matchup will end.

  • The 3WR spot- I don't understand why everyone thinks there is a competition here. Limas Sweed is one year better after a crappy rookie season (and WRs have those a lot) and by all accounts he is greatly improved from last year. Besides, who is he up against? Shaun McDonald wasn't even good enough for Detroit to keep him. Mike Wallace is a rookie (and suddenly I guess everyone forgot how disappointing Sweed's rookie year was?) and who else is even on the roster? Martin Nance? Is that the guy's name? Sweed gets this position, no sweat.
  • Cornerback- This is the position I worry about the most, and that's not saying much because I'm actually not worried about any of the other ones. McFadden is gone so it looks like it's up to Deshea Townsend, William Gay, and Keenan Lewis for this. Whoever wins it wins it, and whoever doesn't gets the nickel spot. I don't have really high hopes for Keenan Lewis this season, not while Deshea's experience and Gay's familiarity with the defense are ahead of him. I'm actually not too sure of where Deshea will end up. He played the nickel position well, but maybe Lewis makes a run for that and Deshea is relegated to safety? Hey, it could happen. I can't really predict what will happen between Townsend and Lewis, but I'm pretty confident that William Gay wins the starting CB gig.
  • Backup QB- This is going to be my favorite matchup to watch during the preseason (one week away oh my god.) I think Dennis Dixon is really going to give Chaz Batch a run for his money. Batch is old, and while backup QBs can play well into their 60s, it seems (See: Vinny Testaverde), Dixon has a lot more upside and he is pretty clearly the backup of the future. It's also worth noting all this wildcat nonsense that's so trendy in the NFL today. Will Bruce Arians fall in love with it like so many other coordinators? If he does (and I hope he doesn't) then he has the athlete to try it with in Dennis Dixon. Tough one to predict. I bet Dixon looks better in preseason but Batch hangs around at least for the start of the year as Ben's backup.
  • Running Backs- Carey Davis is gone. Let's just get that out of the way right now. He's not impressive as a runner, a blocker, or a receiver, and now we have the talent on the roster to make him expendable. It seems a foregone conclusion that Frank Summers will get the short yardage carries, Mewelde Moore will continue 3rd-down-back production, and Mendenhall and Parker will be splitting time. I expect Mendenhall to start to phase Willie out. Parker is in the last year of his contract and there are more pressing issues as far as re-signing players. If you ask me, Willie isn't that impressive of a back anyway, and Mendenhall is the future. Let Parker play out this season and sign some jobber deal next spring if he stays healthy.
  • Offensive Line- We might as while say every position is up for grabs. Max Starks probably has his spot solidified, but everyone else is prime for replacement. I don't even know what to say about them. No predicitons.
  • Defensive Line- Not so much competition here. Smith-Hampton-Keisel once again form a blocker-swallowing line and that probably isn't going to change. Ziggy Hood will be in the mix, but mostly as a rotational player as they get him set up to replace one of the big three in the next year or two. So far Hood has played both end and tackle in the 3-4 during camp and it's nice to know he has some position flexibility.
  • Backup LB- This has no bearing on anything, but I want everyone to remember that Keyaron Fox is a suitable backup, and I just pray that Arnold Harrison doesn't get his season cut short with a knee injury again. I don't know if I can stand to see him being carted off the field in tears again.
There's your wall-o-text of camp battles. Still can't wait for preseason to actually see these play out. Three days until the Hall of Fame Game. One week until Steeler football.

Here We Go.

No comments:

Post a Comment